Newcastle United striker Callum Wilson has overcome a bout of illness and will be ready to play against Southampton.
The Newcastle United striker said on The Footballer’s Football Podcast this week that he had been battling for a spot in Gareth Southgate’s 26-man England squad for the World Cup “run down” this week in anticipation of the match on Sunday at St. Mary’s Stadium.
Before the game, head coach Eddie Howe today acknowledged that Wilson was feeling better. The manager of United said: “Yes, I believe he is fine. His cold has been mild. Everything circulates in a weird way, especially if you host a podcast. With any luck, he’ll be okay.
Prior to next week’s selection of the England squad, Wilson, who has six goals this season, is committed to providing all.
“The World Cup roster announcement will take place on Thursday, the Carabao Cup is on Wednesday night against Crystal Palace, and Chelsea play at home on Saturday, according to the 30-year-old, who hasn’t represented his country since joining Newcastle two years ago.
“Next week is going to be a huge week with games and everything else, so I need to make sure I’m rested.